March 26, 2012

Be Nice

Most of us have something we don't like about ourselves.  Along with many self-criticisms, I hate my nose.  I hate how it looks.  I hate how it looks on me.  I hate the bump on its bridge.  I hate that I'm never comfortable with people looking at me from the side.  I've thought about getting it fixed.  I've stood in the mirror and covered the bridge of my nose with my finger to see what a new silhouette would do for my profile.  I've wasted more time and energy complaining about this thing in the middle of my face than I care to think about.

{Photo by the incomparable Suzuran Photography.}

This past week brought about a revelation: I have never treated anyone as horribly as I have treated myself.  It's sad and it needs to stop.  That's not to say it's time to start daily affirmations and giving myself hugs, but I'm certainly going to stop with the self-deprecation.  I want to set an example for my daughter that she should treat everyone with kindness, especially herself.
 

7 comments:

  1. I feel you.. I despise my profile. But I make sure to never complain about my appearance in front of my daughter. Everyone is beautiful in their own way : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every thing about you (and me) is what makes you (us) unique. To change even one thing is to conform. To conform is to comply; to be similar; thus to lose one's uniqueness. Celebrate your uniqueness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, and wouldn't life be boring otherwise?

      Delete
  3. I'm assuming you used this photo specifically because it's in profile. I must tell you...I didn't even look at your face, I never made it that far up from your lovely, elegant, slender neck.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...never been accused of that.
      Too honest? Yeah...that's more like it.

      Delete