Jack and I bonded over a shared love of the Beatles, of literature, of Indian food, and of coffee. We're both homebodies and our best friends are our parents. Our idea of a fun night is to walk around the bookstore until they kick us out. We are not a case of opposites attract; instead, we knew how awesome (read: nerdy) we were and then went out looking for that same "awesomeness" in our mate.
{What my Mother calls 'Two peas in a pod,' on our third date}
Maybe one of the best things in this world is when you and the person you love want the same things. Besides the Beatles and books and non-buttered naan, we wanted a baby. And then we had Jane.
{...and baby makes three peas.}
Last night, we three peas sat listening to music. Awesome music. 80s rock ballads that played on the radio when you were five and your parents were driving you home from a party that went on past your bedtime and you're watching your reflection in the window, wondering if you'll ever go faster than the moon. Phil Collins takes me there.
We also listened to what is rumored was Walt Disney's favorite song, Feed the Birds. I'm not going to lie: the song makes me wistful and misty. I think about the meaning behind the song, its message about stewardship, and how Jack and I have this little pea to take care of, and how we need to teach her things about this world into which we've brought her.
And as awesome as I think Jack and I are, our tastes in music, our love of reading, our idea of a fun night on the town, we have no designs to make Jane in our image. She's her own person.
All we can do is to help her be hap-pea.
And as awesome as I think Jack and I are, our tastes in music, our love of reading, our idea of a fun night on the town, we have no designs to make Jane in our image. She's her own person.
All we can do is to help her be hap-pea.

Is it bad that I have to have a dictionary opened and ready to go when I read your posts? I did learn what a "type of flat bread from India and Central Asia" is though if anyone asks.
ReplyDeleteOh, no, that's good! That's learnin'!
ReplyDelete