April 12, 2012

Bad Habits

This is a table full of projects I've started but never finished.

They're not completely abandoned.  
I will pick up one project or another from time to time and work on it a bit more.
But these productive times are growing farther and farther apart.
We're talking years.



It's getting a little ridiculous.


I have not one, but two, Cathedral Window Quilts going.


This is a waffled knit blanket I started almost a year ago.
I set it down one day and never picked it back up.

My Mother tells a similar story about us girls; how one day she set us down and never picked us back up.  Isn't that sad?  I don't want to think about setting down Jane one day and having that be the last time I ever carry her.  I don't want to think that, one morning, she won't need me to come pick her up out of her crib.  

We have this baby and do everything we can to make her grow to be big and strong and self-sufficient while it kills us to think of the day she won't need us.
Way to think it through, Jack and Joey.


This is a checkered quilt, patched together with scraps.
I started this quilt right around the same time the Indians were in the World Series.
And Dane Cook was in the World Series commercials they ran on TBS.
That's how long ago I started this quilt; Dane Cook was funny.


What better way to teach your child the alphabet than to cross-stitch it on gingham-layered muslin and then patch it together into a quilt?

Jane is going to be able to spell Ba and Ab like nobody's business.


A basket of yarn.  See those two skeins at the bottom?
Those are for a house-warming blanket I'm knitting for my sister.

They just moved into their house eight years ago.


There's enough fabric to make a quilt with these yellow and white squares, but perhaps I'll stop here and swear I meant to make a placemat the whole time.


I remember starting this project.
Stars! I thought.  Stars from bright fabric!  Yes!  I'm doing it this time!  I'm making this blanket!
Or maybe I'll just cut them all out and let them sit in a basket in my spare room closet for three years where they get smushed and dusty, and then, finally, one day, I'll throw them away because looking at them is just a reminder of how I can't seem to finish anything I ever start.

There must be a term for people like me.  Lazy comes to mind, but I don't think I'm lazy.  A lazy person would start one project and never finish, whereas I haven't finished a dozen projects; that takes energy.  No, I think sporadically motivated is more accurate.

But this is bad.
Along with cleaning up my cursing, putting the phone away when I drive, and dropping words like stupid from my vocabulary, this is another habit I want to clear up before Jane catches on.

2 comments:

  1. Joey - I have a basket like this.
    And a tub.
    And a closet.
    And another basket.

    Must be a Grubbs 'thing'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me how cousins who haven't seen each other in almost 30 years can be so similar.

      Delete